CHALLENGE LAB: Building a Geiger Counter
Goal: Detect and measure radiation
Materials and Procedure
- WARNING: This lab requires electrical circuit building skills. If you are not comfortable with complex diagrams and soldering techniques, do not attempt this lab.
- Survey the web for plans on how to build a Geiger counter, and chose one that you think you can build. I surveyed about 30, but am reluctant to recommend a specific one since materials and costs vary so much.
- (alternatives: build a cloud chamber!)
- This will depend on your instrumentation.
- Standard stuff: You should explain enough that someone else can repeat your experiment to verify your results.
Post your report to the Lab thread at the Moodle.
© 2005 - 2018 This course is offered through Scholars Online, a non-profit organization supporting classical Christian education through online courses. Permission to copy course content (lessons and labs) for personal study is granted to students currently or formerly enrolled in the course through Scholars Online. Reproduction for any other purpose, without the express written consent of the author, is prohibited.