Unit III: American Classic, 1840-70
Week 8: Transcendentalism
CONSIDER for discussion:
- How is transcendentalism related to romanticism (which most of you should remember from English II)? Recall some of the salient features of romanticism:
- A concern for the individual over the collective, for the aberrant over the normative;
- A high value placed on nature as opposed to civilization;
- Attention to substance over form;
- The elevation of the common man rather than preoccupation with the highly-placed;
- Cultural reference to the Middle Ages as opposed to Classical Antiquity.
- Emerson's “Self-reliance” is one of his best-known and most highly regarded essays. What do you think of his ideas? Can you square them with the rest of your own system of belief?
Contents of this page © Copyright 2001, 2003 by Bruce A. McMenomy.
Permission to download or print this page is hereby given to students of the
Scholars' Online Academy or Regina Coeli Academy currently enrolled in World
Literature for purposes of personal study only. All other use constitutes a
violation of copyright.